RE: [Xen-users] pfSense HVM

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] pfSense HVM
From: Mike Viau <viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 22:17:34 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 May 2010 19:19:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>> Yep it did work well when I tried using pfSense in hvm too. Network
>> throughput was fast and solid too.
>>

> This is good to know. What kind of throughput were you getting?

On the LAN I was getting around 90% to native performance by using the Intel 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet controller (the e1000 controller)

You can use the network device emulators for the Intel 8255x 10/100 Mbps Ethernet controller (the e100 controller) and the Intel 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet controller (the e1000 controller) for hardware virtualized guests. The e1000 controller is a Gigabit Ethernet controller and increases the network throughput when compared to the default Ethernet controller.

To use these network device emulators, install the network device driver on the guest, then modify the guest configuration file to specify the controller model type: either e100; or e1000. For example, to use the e1000 controller, set model=e1000 in the vif entry in the guest configuration file:

vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:00:00:00, bridge=xenbr0, model=e1000']

Create the guest again using the xm create command. The guest now uses the faster e1000 controller.

>> You could setup a dummy vif as in the domU to access the dom0
>>

> Can you please explain this a little more? Thanks

This one is a little more difficult to explain but if you look at:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking#head-1fc8531de90f02e42e6fdccc30232cf8f0254ad0

You can see how a dummy0 interface is inside the dom0. When the idea is dummy0 is a
'non-physical' network interface to the dom0 which can then be bridged to another dummy0
'non-physical' network interface in the pfsense domU, kind of like a private network.
For layer 3 (IPs) you can use static IPs, and might I suggest 255.255.255.252 or /30
for point to point communication.

30 days of prizes: Hotmail makes your day easier! Enter now