Re: [Xen-users] High availability and live migration with just LVMand ha

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] High availability and live migration with just LVMand hardware fencing
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 17:10:41 +0200
Cc: Frank S Fejes III <frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 May 2010 08:10:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 25 May 2010 16:17:17 Frank S Fejes III wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> >> If you carefully coordinate changes to the metadata and, for example,
> >> reload the data on all cluster members on every change, I think you
> >> would be ok.  CLVM takes care of all this for you and uses locking to
> >> ensure changes on one node can't clash with other nodes.
> >
> > Quite interesting point of view, since it is so different from the one of
> > authors commenting before ...
> > This is somewhat difficult in regards to taking decisions on setups: one
> > party says "don't", the other says "do".
>
> Well, please don't read my post as a recommendation to "do".  I'm only
> writing to say that I've done it and that I do not yet have a
> technical reason for why it *shouldn't* work.  As others have pointed
> out, the process to enabling clvm is long and problematic which is why
> I originally set out for a way to avoid it altogether.  I think I've
> done that and I've been using it with success so far.
>
> That said, I've never been completely satisfied with this solution for
> a number of reasons.  For one, it's completely undocumented and who's
> to say that a future update to lvm won't start doing things to the
> metadata that breaks my assumptions?  For another, it would seem that
> very few other people are doing it which is partly why I posted in the
> first place.  I'd love to see if other people such as John are doing
> this and what their experiences have been.
>
> What I'd *really* love to see is clvm decoupled from the rhel
> clustering beast and packaged as a barebones easy-to-configure and
> deploy option to the base lvm package.
>
> --frank

I agree cLVM adds some considerable complexity, that's why I plan to avoid it
all together. To be able to do both snapshotting and live migration (for which
I needed LVM), I decided to use iSCSI targets as vbd's in the config files and
to snaphost the iSCSI LUNs once the corresponding Dom0 is down.

Will report back on how well this works.

Rgds,

Bart