[Xen-users] Advice on storage configuration

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Advice on storage configuration
From: Jose de Paula Eufrasio Junior <jose.junior@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 11:31:46 -0300
Delivery-date: Sat, 22 May 2010 07:33:10 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=jzua6xkbG6T8QVF5hykdVL9iwOQZaHNn/+sxwHMPvHE=; b=FMS6NU7avm0ZvQTVcoQ9Zye92wAUvFbWFsaSRO6aZKRfBXtOZUA9k55vto74mCtsSa m1gQqoalnxEDjoA7cJmMWyVxi2GXBcfcUh+32iHhxCR/CM84DQdNHqXR5JP0rN47cIbw 9V2WGXSHYRdrUbImDYIGX55+deaB7shpIUIvU=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am about to reconfigure my disks and storage. Right now I have disk
images on each host's disk, but that is not very good. I also have a
SAN storage connected by fiber on each host, that I am not really
using yet with xen. This is what I want to support in the future:

- unified storage of all images, probably in LVM or similar form
because of performance and live migration
- live migration between hosts
- better usage of host's disks and SAN storage

I am thinking about using CLVM to join all my 8 hosts disks in a
cluster, but that would leave my SAN out, but if I use my SAN area,
how to make various hosts access the same area without locking issues,
etc?

Any advice is welcome.

--
José de Paula Eufrásio Júnior (coredump)
MCSO, GRC Professional