Re: [Xen-users] how to convert QEMU images to be used as Xen DomU's

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to convert QEMU images to be used as Xen DomU's
From: Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 16:49:59 +0530
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 May 2010 04:21:36 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=YuqntID1ytt0p45GLImnsoXMqvQkZQD4EzWx+scmPuo=; b=O6+12R7mif1ibONXMwwg6k7DqwuvX0Cc6M2Y1uzNO9B6YYu0cIXDbt0RF0JNZ3c5vr pQubWaCixq7+nYlK9UN/TSlYsUA1Td+b6F8IIg/MODCFLfkkYd4DZ8gkXMPCa3OQ91la fZlVEvbCI3qVa/OBMm25OR2PBKx/rc2jj/Lxc=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> what qemu image format did you use?
I am not clear with the above Question how do I find out that.I used an LVM
the command is

qemu-system-x86_64 -hda /dev/virtualization/centos5-disk -hdb
/dev/virtualization/centos5-swap -boot d -cdrom /root/centos1.iso -m
1024 -net nic -net tap

So it is an LVM image if I understood your question correctly.

> Try using qemu-img to convert the disk to raw format (if it's not
> already in that format) and use the resulting file as disk image for
> HVM domU.
Ya I saw some thing similar on net and mailing lists too.
> Have you created a HVM domU before?
No.Never this is first time I am doing all this.
>If not, virt-manager can
> help you create a suitable config using either existing or new disk
> image.
Ok does it have GUI to run over SSH,
I am doing all this on a server which does not have GUI at all and
accessing all via SSH.More over Dom0 of the server is Debian
Lenny.Have never used before so skittish about it.

I have uploaded a snapshot which showed me grub in bash booting CentOS
you can check it here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48996087@N07/4623521997/

> An example HVM domU config that I use is http://pastebin.com/fb6fe631,
> adjust vif and disk line according to your setup.
Ok thanks for that.
I saw line number 49 you have mentioned to edit grub here is it
referring to grub on Dom0 or DomU which I am installing.

Thanks

--
Tapas