Re: [Xen-users] High availability and live migration with just LVMand ha

To: Javier Guerra Giraldez <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] High availability and live migration with just LVMand hardware fencing
From: Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 21:29:56 +0200
Cc: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 May 2010 12:29:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 19 May 2010 21:01:03 Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Bart Coninckx <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > What would you define as "change anything"? Add a LV?
>
> for example, or expanding one, or deleting.  or adding a PV...
>
> >  I suppose a "lvscan" on
> > every node would take care of the changes, no?
>
> yes, but what about the time between the change and the lvscan on all
> nodes?  during that time, nonupdated nodes have a wrong idea of the VG
> structure, and that is deadly dangerous.
>
> > Or does it mean I cannot  take
> > a snapshot? Or resize? Or all?
>
> nothing that modifies the LVM metadata.

I see ... Well, there are two good reasons I cannot have cLVM: need snapshots
and it's simply not available for SELS10, so I'm going to keep on asking if
permitted.

- What if I would use a seperate volume group for every LV (and for every Xen
guest)? Would that help? I suppose not really, since the Xen guest should be
migratable, meaning that all nodes would need to have a consistent view no all
VG's and LV's.
- would snapshotting change the LVM meta data?

Cheers,

Bart