Re: [Xen-users] migrate existing non-xen system to a VM?

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> jpp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> Another method could be to :
>> - install a new system in a VM
>> - import data into the new system
>> - test and go
>>

> easier said than done with a complex production system - installing,
> configuring, and wiring together things like mail, anti-spam, anti-virus,
> list management, etc. is a real pain

If you have an existing backup or DR strategy that can handle physical
machine/disk failure (which might involve OS-level backup or disk
image), you can also use that.

Last time I check with Ubuntu, it's initramfs pretty much includes
everything so that you _should_ be able to move/copy the entire disk
to another physical machine (including HVM domUs) and have it running
with minimal effort. Latest -server kernels also supports running as
PV guest. Perhaps some of this is also true for Debian.

--
Fajar