Re: [Xen-users] VGA Passthru

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VGA Passthru
From: 王俊仁 <ben3468.wang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 20:18:43 +0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 May 2010 05:20:14 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=X0SPM8136a/lWOaWfHRGCJWHzQ/04MdD/A+Nm99dofE=; b=svZG07DjV/VHHQHMCveayh7JBZbLh06qQAe85BBFui8KuqURXN4YVBsVxv0DE5AszI cTog4Fdk5JqsgTs91dTXSR09FcRdI3sPPxQ9oZSyyGk4rwoYIBipYzN4LQlnsYBpWAhY UH+GqTf0k4SMQjl04lw9/LiA70Cw/wklr978E=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.
 Right Now my DomU XP can boot. But Right after XP show it's Logo. It will shut down. Can anyone help?
 I am running Xen4+ Linux 2.6.31.13 on Intel GM45 chipset.

Kernel config
CONFIG_XEN_PCI_PASSTHROUGH = y
CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_FRONTEND = y
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND = y
CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND = y
CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_PASS  = y
CONFIG_DRM is not set

grub conf
kernel /boot/xen.gz  dom0_mem=1024M iommu=1
module ... xen-pciback.hide=(00:02.0)(00:02.1)(00:1a.0)(00:1a.1)(00:1d.0)(00:1d.1)(00:1d.2)

xp.hvm
gfx_passthru=1
pci=['00:02.0-1' , '00:1a.0-1' , '00:1d.0-2' ]

2010/5/12 Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
>>> On 2010/05/11 at 03:47, <destinyqq@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Nick Couchman
>
>     Did you mean like this:  we will not see any VGA output and can not
> login to desktop,if add "xen-pciback.hide=(00:02.0)" to grub ?

Not exactly, but kind of.  Initially, with that option, things will display just fine; however, once you start your domU and it claims the video card, you will lose your ability to use the video card in dom0.  There may be a way to reclaim the video card after your HVM domU is shut down, but I don't know what that is.  The bottom line is that only one domain can use a PCI device at a time - so, when the domU grabs the VGA device, dom0 cannot use it any longer.

Also, if there is a kernel module loaded that uses any of the PCI cards you wish to forward through to the domU, you have to unload the module, first, before the card can be passed through.

>     I can't passthrough Q45-IGD to hvm.
>
>     I add "xen-pciback.hide=(00:02.0)" to grub, but i can login to desktop,
> and i can see 00:02.0 in "xm pci-list-assignable-devices".
>
>     Then,I create hvm, the monitor input  disappear. But i can reboot Dom0
> from Keyboard.

Yes, you should see the display disappear for your dom0, but you should see the HVM domU display appear.  If the card is dual-headed, you may need to try switching over to the other video port.  Also, make sure you forward through all of the PCI devices associated with the card - on my Optiplex 755, I forward 00:02.0 and 00:02.1 through.  And, make sure you have gfx_passthru enabled.

The keyboard issue is one that I haven't found a great way around.  What I ended up doing is making my dom0 "headless" and using either SSH or a serial console to access dom0.  I then assign the graphics card and all of the USB PCI devices, as well as the sound card, to the HVM domU so that I can use those devices there.  For what I'm trying to do - run Xen transparently under Windows, so that my engineers can use a familiar interface, but I can use their machines for other stuff - this works perfectly fine.  Other folks have suggested purchasing an additional PCI or PCIe USB or PS/2 card that will allow you to hook up a second keyboard/mouse/etc. to the machine.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.