RE: [Xen-users] Question: Best option to run an Arch Linux DomU

> Tue, 11 May 2010 11:15:03 +0700 <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > What options would I have to setup an Arch Linux DomU?
>
> You should ask archlinux guys if they support running as Xen domU first.

I came across a wiki page from the Arch Linux guys and kick myself because for their Dom0 documentation references Xen 2 binaries (xen-2.0.7-install-x86_32.tgz)

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xen_Install

> > And what options would yield best performance? What steps could be taken to
> > run Arch Linux as a PV domU?
>
> The general way to do that is to install as HVM domU, install
> xen-commpatible kernel if necessary, then do some modifications. Most
> ditros using recent-enough kernel 2.6 can be easily converted to PV
> domU, but you might need to compile your own kernel package for that.

Well I have no doubts (unless misinformed) that Arch Linux should run as PV domU becasue I was told due to there rolling release mentaility they are usually using the most up-to-date package. So in the sense of the Linux kernel they are using the 2.6.33 branch which has domU support already.

Can you give me some examples on what you mean by "then do some modifications"?

Lastly I don't understand the domU configuration offered by the Arch Linux Xen page:

Creating a xenU instance

The /etc/xen file

You need to create a domain configuration file for your xenU instance.
Here is a simple example. The useful comments have been removed. If you wish to delve deeper, the xmexample1 and xmexample2 files contain more information. Just copy them to a custom filename, and edit away.
Here is the example used for this how to:
#  -*- mode: python; -*-
#============================================================================

# Kernel image file.
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-xenU"

# Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new domain.
memory = 256

# A name for your domain. All domains must have different names.
name = "WebServer"

disk = [ 'file:/home/xen/webserver,hda1,w','file:/home/xen/webserver-swap,hda2,w' ]

# Set root device.
root = "/dev/hda1 ro"

# Sets runlevel 4.
extra = "3"

restart = 'onreboot'
Name the file webserver for the purposes of this example. /etc/xen/webserver

How can one boot Arch Linux or any distro really without having that distro already running to copy the system from right?
Is HVM install the only way?

Thanks.

-M

30 days of prizes: Hotmail makes your day easier! Enter now