[Xen-users] Success: VT-d on ASUS P6T

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Success: VT-d on ASUS P6T
From: Felix Kuperjans <felix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:05:25 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 May 2010 03:06:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I've successfully used VT-d on an ASUS P6T mainboard which is known to have
really buggy RMRR tables.

I tested passtrough with:
- the onboard (fake-)raid-controller (no problems)
- a pci card (no problems)
- VGA cards (worked only partly - I'll investigate that)

I wrote a little patch to the code parsing the RMRR tables and enabled the
following command line options:
iommu=passtrough iommu_inclusive_mapping=1

As an attachment, I created a full patch which enables those command line
options by default and can be directly applied to XEN 4.0.0.
However, this patch is *not* intended to be merged to the unstable versions and
I'll discuss an appropriate patch on xen-devel.

This patch is only for those people who want to use VT-d on an ASUS P6T right
now with the latest stable version of XEN.
It does not need those command line options to be explicitly specified because
they are set by default so you can't forget anything.

It also introduces a no-passtrough option, so that you can test booting without
the iommu=passtrough option, but none of my kernels ever booted successfully
this way.
If you find any kernel / configuration that does boot with this patch applied
and iommu=no-passtrough specified, please post it here.

Regards,
Felix