Re: [Xen-users] how can you boot an existing linux domU off the cdrom on

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "James Pifer" <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how can you boot an existing linux domU off the cdrom on sles11 dom0?
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:42:34 -0600
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:44:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> On 2010/04/23 at 05:06, James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 15:51 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
>> I have a sles10 domU running on a sles11 dom0. xen is version 3.4. We're
>> trying to pass through a scsi card to the domU. We assign the domU the
>> scsi card through virt manager. When we try to boot the domU it won't
>> boot. We need to update fstab and menu.lst, but we need to boot with the
>> hardware attached to see how it's being seen by the domU.
>>
>> On a physical machine we usually boot off the sles boot cd in rescue
>> mode and modify the file accordingly. In this case, I can't get the domU
>> to boot from the cd.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to do this? I've done it with Citrix XenServer,
>> but have never been able to do it on a sles dom0.
>>
>> I've tried adding a cdrom and using xm commands to save config, delete
>> the domU, modify the config enabling the cdrom as bootable, then
>> restoring the domU with xm new -F command, but then it won't boot at
>> all.
>
> Can anyone else provide some assistance here? Really need to be able to
> boot off a CD.
>
> Thanks,
> James

PV domUs don't really boot off of a device, per se.  PV domUs must first load a
kernel (and possibly initrd), then the software inside the domU deals with
finishing off the boot process.  In SLES, this happens using either domUloader
or pygrub to find and grab the kernel out of the domU disk and pass the correct
argument.  vm-install searches for a kernel file or kernel package on the ISO
or CD, and unpacks and/or loads that.

All that said, here's what I'd suggest:
- Use virt-manager and/or vm-install to kick off an installation.
- Specify your existing domU disk, and the SLES11 CD-ROM
- Configure hardware as needed
- On the final screen, where you choose the installation media, make sure to
specify the CD-ROM as the install source (it usually defaults to hard disk if
it finds something on it)
- On that same screen is a place for extra arguments.  Add "rescue=1" as an
extra argument and boot.  This should take you into the rescue system for the
CD-ROM, and you can modify the files as needed.

Another alternative is to do the following:
- Edit your VM config file and add the following for the extra= line:
"init=/bin/bash"
- Reload the config file and boot.
- The system should boot and take you directly to a bash prompt, where you can
remount the root device as R/W (mount -o remount,rw /) and then edit the files.
- Once you're done, remount as R/O, shut down (or destroy) the domain, and undo
the change to the config file.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.