[Xen-users] XCP gotchas crop up again ....

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] XCP gotchas crop up again ....
From: Vern Burke <vburke@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 08:49:50 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 05:51:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I don't know how I keep running into these things ...... :)

It appears that when a physical Ethernet port is attached to XCP as a PIF and then the hardware is changed, XCP will override the current hardware's MAC address in favor of the original MAC address.

I discovered this the hard way. Some time back, I had the hard drive in the pool master pack up on me. When I replaced and rebuilt the drive, I also built a preloaded a second spare drive from the same machine so it would be quicker to recover a failed drive.

Yesterday I loaded the spare in a new machine, fired it up, changed the network IP addresses and host name, dropped it into the middle of my running cloud, and immediately caused a MAC conflict with the pool master (the results were NOT pretty). I finally managed to spot the problem by comparing the Linux ifconfig results to xsconsole's display NICs result and noting the non-matching MACs.

End result is that you must (as far as I can tell) use pif-forget and pif-introduce to remove and add back the Ethernet ports to XCP when changing hardware to get XCP to respect the new MAC.

Vern