Re: Re: [Xen-users] Where to start.

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Windows arrived this moring. Now installing.
> Only disappointment, I have a spare disk set up for it,
> I wasn't given the choice of 'which' disk to install
> the OS.
>
> Is that needed in the config file before I start to install please?

I assume you installed it under Xen? Your previous post contains
references to vmware, I'm not sure which system you installed it on.
How do you install it? using virt-manager? editing config files
manually?

if you edit config file, there's a section called "disk". For example,
in my setup I use this

disk =  [
        'phy:/dev/rootvg/win01lv,hda,w',
        ]

I use LVM as domU/guest backing storage. If you have a spare drive
(e.g. sdb) and want to use it ONLY for Windows guest, you could use
something like

disk =  [
        'phy:/dev/sdb,hda,w',
        ]

or, since you already use Vmware, you can just store domU's disk
images as files (similar to vmware). Format the spare disk and mount
it as /var/lib/xen/images (or whatever path you like, as long as you
also make sure that things like selinux and permissions match), and
use something like this on domU config file

disk =  [
        'tap:aio:/var/lib/xen/images/win01.img,hda,w',
        ]

if you use virt-manager it asks you where you want to put domU's disk image.

--
Fajar