[Xen-users] Creating multiple bridges

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Creating multiple bridges
From: Andrew Kilham <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 02:08:33 +1000
Delivery-date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 09:10:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

In addition to the standard bridge eth0 that Xen creates, I had added a second bridge using "brctl addbr beth1" command which worked fine, and I then added some IP's to my domU's using the second bridge. However, when I restarted the server the second bridge was not there any more (as expected).

When I typed in "brctl addbr beth1" it said:

device beth1 already exists; can't create bridge with the same name

Even though beth1 was not listed in "ifconfig" and there is no ifcfg-beth1 file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts . I wasn't sure how to fix this, so I moved on to trying a wrapper script.

I vaguely knew that you needed to create a wrapper script to automatically set up multiple bridges on boot, so I did some Googling and came up with this file:

dir=$(dirname "$0")
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=0 netdev=peth0 bridge=eth0
"$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=1 netdev=eth1 bridge=beth1

I chmodded the file to 755 and I changed the appropriate line in xend-config.sxp to execute it. However, booting the server with this file in place returns nothing when I run "brctl show":

[root@mars ~]# brctl show

The public IP assigned to dom0 works, but none of the IP's assigned to the domU works.

So, how do I have a bridge named beth1 with the physical interface eth1 assigned to it, in addition to the default bridge eth0/peth0 created when I boot the server?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Andrew