[Xen-users] State of a rebooting vm

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] State of a rebooting vm
From: Ruediger Schmidt <schrued@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:33:16 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:34:36 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

We use a selfmade GUI environment which utilizes Xen to provide preinstalled OS images. The state of a specific vm is shown in the user's GUI and used by the web application. To decide whether or not a vm is running we call "/usr/sbin/xm list <vmid>". If the call is successful we know that the vm is running. If it fails, we know that there's no vm running ;-) So far so good...

My question: what happens if a user triggers a reboot inside of the vm, e.g. by executing "reboot" in Linux. Are Xen vm images always running even if the user has rebooted the image or is it stopped for a short moment right before the OS image is restarted? And if it's stopped, is it possible to say how long it is approximately stopped and/or not listed by "xm list"?
I have tried to google some information but weren't really successful and I don't know how to find out on my own if the vm is stopped while it is rebooted.

Thanks in advance!
Ruediger Schmidt