Re: [Xen-users] The Xen Live CD generator now at github

To: Matej Zary <zary@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] The Xen Live CD generator now at github
From: Martinx - ジェームズ <thiagocmartinsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:44:24 -0300
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:49:14 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :from:date:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=TkiT8qQ8kxXjicvZkTy0pwHetJDlrmFw3erXYRnOzbI=; b=lRMZmv8Fkk0g7WADkWb8Oc8eNEIln0v76yDCf2kgS9SrGn7DisN4ikDRIK4aw3v2hi eSki+x+CcUeDvEokgVkOvqktUYv1fABwU8SMFh4JHyOREO98d4zJ1I3RIgfhPQjeB02z +zyd/mHBM+ly1UO860jeDDjxcj7QZuax/dOag=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Matej!

 Are you reading my mind, my e-mails or what?! haha!  :-P
 Because what you say is exactly what I have in mind!

 First, the Xen Live CD that I build was intended to be a didatic system, or instructional as you say. And of course, to be a live demonstration of the Xen itself. Have you read the README file?! It is a quick guide for the Xen...

 Second, the Xen Live CD already have various config files... Reading the wiki page http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/LiveCD you'll find:
  • Pre-configured file of a virtual machine to start Windows installation.
  • Example of how to convert Linux virtual machines from HVM to PVM. With the new paravirt_ops, this can be done smoothly.
  • Also there is a pre-configured file of a virtual machine to start Debian Installer within a Paravirtual domU.
  • Three different methods to create the virtual hard disks of their virtual machines, sparse files, discs in LVM and partitions in LVM.
 ...this means the extra config files and some commands!

 Within the Xen Live CD dom0 file system, you can find the directory named ~/Desktop/Examples/, wich contains some interesting config files too, to start your real machine as a virtual machine, etc... Also, there is examples with PyGRUB and howtos to convert a virtual machine from HVM to PVM and vice-versa. Under the directory /etc/xen there is more config files for the extra domUs, in the standard format and in the XML.

 I'm working to add more examples, to create a OpenSolaris and CentOS paravirtual machines... The devel version on git already have some work on this area, browse the github!

--

 About the Live XCP, basically what we need is just make the Debian packages of the source files founded here:

 http://www.xen.org/products/cloud_source.html

 I talk with Dave, the XCP expert, and he likes the idea of a Live XCP system and the Debian packages... I think that one day we can install a Debian system, add one file at /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and do: aptitude update; aptitude install xen-cloud-platform ! He says to me that the next versions of the XCP, will be less depended of the modified Xen and Linux, becoming more standard, more close to the Xen from xen.org. So, will be more easy to pack new versions of the XCP for Debian.

--

 I don't know too much about the Xen support in Squeeze, it will have dom0 and HVM support?

 The Xen Live CD based on Squeeze will certainly have the XenLinux (Linux 2.6.18.8-xen from xen.org), the Paravirt dom0/domU and bare Linux.

 I believe that there are only three STABLE Xen systems in the world:

 1- the one that you compile by your self (including the Xen and the Linux 2.8.18.8-xen);
 2- the XenServer from Citrix and;
 3- the XCP.

  I think if Ubuntu releases a separate kernel (aka linux-ec2) for Karmic, the Debian team can release a separate kernel package specially compiled to act as a dom0. Why not? Without patches, just pack the Linux from xen.org for God's sake!

 The distro's team works so hard to make a unstable system! For example, the Hardy and Lenny have a horrendous dom0 support... It works, of course, but have bugs that the original couple Xen/Linux (from xen.org) does not have, so, why not just pack the original Xen for Debian WITHOUT any patches?

 Well, backing to the Xen Live CD topic, I hope that more people can help me to improve the system now with the git, because my time is really short...

Regards,
Thiago