Re: [Xen-users] Installing from source (git, hg) on a fresh debian box

To: Brandon Lamb <brandonlamb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Installing from source (git, hg) on a fresh debian box
From: Jamon Camisso <jamonation@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:57:41 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 18:00:14 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:date:from:to:cc:subject :message-id:references:mime-version:content-type:content-disposition :in-reply-to:user-agent; bh=iOQ02ynxo4BqxPM9Ef9MUA5mTo6Ku1mzA8IJkipPwfo=; b=AfFImrsNiDWxRcy7DbSwmiDKw2RjJOB5S+/N7Q+cuvIqSptZaiLmJmaT5O4KRjjeBa 7BLKrBPui3UUZJAaxKsEAIMvlji3fM1OpcRefxzg3Ir9VAr7eNbRobqOuWz1XT70ZXrA v8CD5XYsnTDJfPF2ZCMop6FFH/oVKACL2GfZw=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 04:54:00PM -0800, Brandon Lamb wrote:
> Ok, so i have come across a few howtos/tutorials on installing xen
> dom0 kernel, using git to download a patched? kernel tree, and getting
> xen source from mercurial. Below is my steps for trying to install
> this, can someone tell me if I am missing something, have a step out
> of order or whats going on?

>From source, use http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

> 1) Clean install of debian squeeze, update apt-sources to include
> lenny and sid repos

Plain squeeze should be fine, are you pinning your repositories?

> 2) apt-get install build-essential mercurial gawk zlib1g zlib1g-dev
> libzzip-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev xorg-dev gettext libncurses5-dev
> python2.5-dev texinfo texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-recommended
> texlive-fonts-extra texlive-fonts-recommended transfig bridge-utils
> uuid-dev easygit gitk bcc vim-full ssh chkconfig ntpdate openntpd
> kernel-package module-assistant pkg-config libgnutls-dev libpci-dev
> randomize-lines gcc gcc g++ make patch libssl-dev bzip2 gettext python
> libjpeg62-dev libx11-dev libgcrypt11-dev bin86 libsdl1.2-dev libc6-dev
> xen-linux-system-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 dstat ifenslave vnc4server ethtool
> bison flex

Those look like all the required packages. make will complain if it is
missing something, so you should be ok there.

> 3) git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git
> linux-2.6-xen
> cd linux-2.6-xen
> git reset --hard
> git checkout -b xen/stable origin/xen/stable
> git pull
> make menuconfig
> make -j4 bzImage
> make -j4 modules
> make -j4 modules_install
> cp -a .config /boot/config-2.6-xen
> cp -a System.map /boot/System.map-2.6-xen
> cp -a arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen
>
> I set ext2, ext3, ext4 to be included NOT modules.

No need for make bzImage, when you run make, do not use the arch/*
bzImage. Instead, you'll see a vmlinux file in the top of your
kernel tree. That is your pv_ops enabled kernel.

> 4) Attempt to create initrd
> xen1:/usr/src/deb# mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6-xen 2.6-xen
> W: kernel 2.6-xen too old for initramfs on
> W: not generating requested initramfs for kernel 2.6-xen

Also, when you do make modules/install, the kernel version is
2.6.31.6 e.g. you'll find the modules in /lib/modules/2.6.31.6/
so specify that version and you should get a real initrd.

> This creates a 0 byte initrd-2.6-xen which I can delete, run
> update-grub2 and if I try to boot that kernel get a kernel panic, vfs
> cant mount root fs on unknown-blockdev (or something really close).
>
> I imagine that is because there is no initrd to load drivers for the
> hardware/fs or whatnot from?
>
> I dont understand why trying to run mkinitramfs says the kernel is too
> old. Is there perhaps something in the .config that I need to change
> or AHHHH...
>
> Anyway, thank you for any insight someone may be able to provide. I
> keep re-reading the same google results over and over with no help.

You've made it this far, and in just 3 short days, that's no small feat.
You're 95+% there - one more shot at things and you should be all set :)

Cheers, Jamon