RE: [Xen-devel] Domain-Virtual time

Hi Priya --

You need only run additional domains (thus "overcommitting" the CPU(s) and
guaranteeing that NO domain is getting close to an entire CPU) to demonstrate
that it is certainly not domain time.  It IS system time but, as the VMware
paper describes, virtualizing time on an older (buggy) OS is more of an art
than a science.  Unless one builds directly into the hypervisor a complete list
of all OS's (including all versions and patch-levels) and all of their bugs and
idiosyncrasies, the result is a s*it-load of options at different levels of the
virtualization stack (including hardware configuration such as in a boot-time
BIOS menu).

As you may also have read, even on a physical machine running a native OS, time
drift is very possible as time in every system is based on one or more
inexpensive crystals with frequencies that are only estimates of a (extremely
expensive) cesium clock (which for lack of a better term we will call "true"
time) and may themselves drift relative to true time and relative to each other
on the same system or even an apparently identical system.  This can often be
demonstrated as you saw by checking /proc/cpuinfo... but identical values don't
mean that the clocks are true, just that the difference is lower than the
kernel code measuring it can discern or choose to report.

When virtualizing time, some of the problems manifest in time drift in the
virtual system which moves faster than true time and some slower than true time.

NTP does its best to find a source of true time and then adjusts the clock on
the system it is controlling so that it asymptotically approaches true time
withOUT allowing time to go backwards (as this can cause all sorts of
challenging system problems... imagine a "make" where time randomly goes
backwards in the middle!).  But NTP may not have a good source for true time
(as it is an administrator who configures it), NTP may subtly conflict with
some combinations of the options set by administrators in the virtualization
stack (because not everyone has access to "true" time... for example suppose
your virtual machine has not networking configured), and NTP may silently give
up if the drift is too bad for it to safely compensate.  (On a physical
machine, this would be considered a "hardware bug" and you would ship your box
back to the vendor to get one without a "broken" clock.)

So if you have ever heard the old pop song by Chicago "Does anybody really know
what time it is?", the title is truer than most people believe ;-)

Hope that helps!
Dan