[Xen-users] How to get rid of HTTP-Proxy environment variable in domUs!

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] How to get rid of HTTP-Proxy environment variable in domUs!
From: Jan Muhammad <janmuhd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 01:31:21 +0000 (GMT)
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 17:32:39 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1267061481; bh=wjLWKFMeiA1DJiuoZwh41mFmfBkkUXQhzfmGnXPgt2E=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=oKp9rEdUiFqLHwfVKg65EqfZnpcofV5rY+GxyxPICpzzn3TKuQdS9btjDuoFsURs+XM/piEM6Kqetaa+cY1sHGDzmnDtP+V36gwZEoDHMsiuQRl3DUXbo/RBtYMicWpLiK3uVUVj5IKnpl2Gy95+bqr+RvZmvW1fV9b33tY+lwM=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

I have been trying to solve the issue of Xen-based Virtual Machines (as I described earlier); I have the problem of ethernet ports locked to a single Mac address in my lab--hence VM's can't communicate using bridging other than their own dom0.

To further test/confirm, yesterday I took my laptop at home and connected to my Home-Hub (which issues DHCP based IPs); I can now ping from my ethernet port (dom0--eth0) and as well as VMs port (i.e. domUs) to WindowsXP machine and vice versa. The dom0 can ping any IP such as yahoo.com etc; but domU still having trouble.

On resetting http_proxy variable now dom0 can get updates via "apt-get update". But the real issue for me is that domU still using 'http_proxy' environment variable (although I tried to reset it--- as I've done with dom0). In the /etc/profile I commented the proxy entries and then done # source /etc/profile [checked http_proxy--to make sure it gets reseted]. But for domU there seems to be an issue that since HTTP_PROXY varible don't gets clear(or may be when I created this VM when http_proxy variable was set...?). This is resulting in apt-get update to fail; whenever I try to run this command it says "0% [Connecting to www.myproxy.com] [Connecting to wwwcache.com.xxx]". I wonder why it is trying proxy and which file it is using?

I tried to disable the http_proxy line in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/proxy-guess which has
 Acquire::http::Proxy "http://xxxx.xxxx.xxxx:port/";

In the dom0 I have /etc/apt/apt.conf file [I changed it content from Uni proxy to this one]

Acquire::http::Proxy::zero DIRECT;

Summary:-

dom0 <> domU [OK]
domU<>dom0 [OK]
domU1<>domU2 [OK] ---or even any other domU
domU <>Any IP [OK] within the BT-Hub --Such as I tested ping command from WindowsXP to any of domU's
dom0<>Internet [OK]
domU<>Internet [FAILS]---Http_Proxy hinders in between

Any thoughts how to get rid of this proxy variable entry permanently?

Thanks in advance for help!

With Regards

-Jan Muhammad