Re: [Xen-users] IP Connectivity issues in DomU

To: Lyle <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] IP Connectivity issues in DomU
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 05:15:00 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:16:04 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Lyle <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Services such as FTP and SSH hang on connect. The login comes up, then there
> is a big lag before password request is displayed. I'm sure it's a more
> general IP issue.

Looks like DNS issue. Those services usually try to resolve connecting
IP address to hostnames. If your DNS doesn't answer it quickly, they
seem to hang. There's an easy test for that though. From domU:

- host google.com
- host 10.2.1.1 (test several random IP addresses in your network)

if the second test takes a long time, then DNS server is your problem

> Also when I reset my domu the extra IP's I've assigned to it don't some up.
> The only way I've managed to get them up it to go into Webmin Network
> Interface->Activated at boot, edit each interface (without making changes)
> and hit Save and Apply.

Doesn't seem to be Xen issue. Are they configured properly?

> vif = [ "bridge=xenbr0" ]

Try putting static MAC address there. Your switch/router might have a
hard time handling new MAC addresses everytime dom0 is restarted.
Also, some distros assign new interface names (eth0, eth1, eth2, etc)
everytime MAC address change, which might explain why your previous IP
address settings doesn't work.

--
Fajar