Re: [Xen-users] GPLPV driver problems

To: "Peter Privat" <peter.privat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] GPLPV driver problems
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:32:35 -0700
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:34:28 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> On 2010/02/17 at 07:36, Peter Privat <peter.privat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you for your reply, Fajar!
> It really helped me moving on from where I was stuck.
>
> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 20:14 +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Peter Privat <peter.privat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> > After domU reboot, I get problems with devices that are not working
>> > correctly. The following devices got the (!) sign in the device manager:
>> >
>> > * Intel(R) 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
>> > * Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
>>
>> It's supposed to be like that
>
> Oh, I see... I was used to the older 9.x drivers which actually produced
> a "clean" device map after installation.
>
> Maybe I could simply disable those two and get rid of the nagging during
> boot that "one or more devices failed to start"...?

What version of Windows are you running?  I use the GPLPV drivers with version
3.2 and 3.3 of Xen, I see the yellow exclamation points next to these devices,
but I don't get any messages about failed devices or services at boot time.
Can you check and verify that nothing else is failing to start?

>> > I also tried edit the "boot.ini" just like with the old 9.x drivers,
>> > adding the "/gplpv" at the end of the partition boot line. But that
>> > doesn't work either.
>>
>> You don't need it anymore.
>
> Ok! Deleted! :)
>

>> > So, what am I doing wrong here?
>>
>> Nothing. That's the way it behaves on older Xen version. You can
>> safely ignore it.
>> If you use Xen 3.4, the exclamation marks will be gone.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 Xen with hypervisor 3.2 and it works good. Should
> I try to recompile the kernel and include 3.4 instead?

There are many features in the later versions of Xen beyond just improved GPLPV
support that make it attractive.  I'm still stuck using Xen 3.2 because that's
what SLES 10 ships with and that's the Linux O/S we've standardized on, but if
you can easily move to 3.4, there are quite a few things that make it worth it
- multi-core CPU support and gPXE are a couple that I like.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.