Re: [Xen-users] bootable disk of xen on xen.org

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:02 PM, John Smith <slash5bmw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fajar,
>
> Thanks for the info. I am going to try xenserver from citrix since it can be
> installed without an os.
> I think the performance of all my VMs will perform
> better.

Technically XenServer/XCP comes with a minimal, optimized OS, based on
Centos, as dom0.
While there may be some performance improvement, I would not expect
something drastic.

> I am currently running centos 5.4 with windows 7 running inside it as a VM
> but it's a little sluggish.

Did you install PV drivers? Xenserver has its own PV drivers. When
using Centos/Xen you can use GPLPV. WIthout PV drivers, Windows disk
and network I/O will be slow.

> I'd like to be able to shutdown centos while running windows if I want
> better performance. I think xenserver should allow me to do this.

If by "shutdown Centos" you mean shutdown the dom0, then no, it's not possible.

If your ONLY concern is Windows domU performance, I suggest you try
James Harper's GPLPV before trying anything else :
http://www.meadowcourt.org/downloads/. When used with stock Centos Xen
version (3.1+), I suggest you use 0.10.x version as I had some problem
with 0.11.x version.

--
Fajar