Re: [Xen-users] Using XEN to install Windows XP as guest on CentOS 5 as

To: Hadi Motamedi <motamedi24@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Using XEN to install Windows XP as guest on CentOS 5 as host ?
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 16:08:50 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 01:09:31 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2010/2/6 Hadi Motamedi <motamedi24@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> #virt-manager &
> But when continuing to create the virtual machine , under Installation
> Method menu , I cannot select 'local install media (cdrom)' and just the
> Network install tree is highlighted . So I tried to reach the desired one ,
> by issuing as the followings :

Windows under Xen needs to run as HVM guest, which needs special CPU
support (Intel VT/AMD-V). You need to select "full virtualization"
(HVM), which offers install from CDROM. If it's not available, then
most likely your CPU doesn't support it, or disabled by BIOS.

> #virt-install --paravirt --name WindowsXP --ram 128 --file /vm --location
> /mnt/cdrom

--paravirt creates PV guest, not HVM guest.

--
Fajar