Re: [Xen-users] AsteriskNOW on Xen Choppiness

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] AsteriskNOW on Xen Choppiness
From: Ben Holt <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:20:03 -0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:20:46 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Tobin said the following:
Hi,

Just curious, are you using this for IP related calls only, no analogue etc?

If you are using Zaptel hardware for an analogue line (ie a TDM400 or similar card) you will not get the interrupt performance required for reasonable call quality. I fought this long and hard a couple years ago. There is a utility, I forget its name off-hand, that will test the interrupt performance for the Zaptel hardware. voip-info.org should have information on it.

If you are in a pure voip situation, where all call traffic is handled over the network and not with hardware interfaces, you should be able to use a DomU without much difficulty. The one gotcha is that you will need to use the dummy Zaptel timing device for conference calling and music on hold to work properly.

- Ben