Re: [Xen-users] Heavy Dom0 traffic stops network

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:06 AM, Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>> Do you have traffic limit somewhere? It sounds like the switch your
>> physical machine connected to has port storm-control or similar.

> It's definitely not that - when not transferring data between Dom0 and DomU
> on the same machine, I can shovel data around between DomUs and external
> partners with no problem.
>
> The problem ONLY happens when Dom0 is exchanging data with a DomU it hosts.
> It's completely repeatable - start large transfer and wait, when the traffic
> stops I can hit ctrl-C and the network comes back to life.

Then it looks like a serious bug.

> Is this something I should report as a bug ? What's the right way to do that
> ? Unfortunately, I don't have another non-production machine available at
> the moment so it's a bit difficult trying the later version from Debian
> Squeeze. I'll have a rummage around tomorrow, but I don't think anything has
> enough RAM.

The thing is you're using a (very) old version of kernel-xen, and the
problem is probably fixed in current versions. I'm using RHEL5 with
its builtin kernel-xen and don't have the problem you mentioned.

I'd suggest you start with testing latest 2.6.18 kernel from xen.org,
or (if you're a bit lazy) grab a copy of RHEL5's kernel-xen rpm,
extract it somewhere, and copy the contents of /boot and /lib to your
system.

--
Fajar