Re: [Xen-users] Full Virtualised DomU Hang on Boot

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:49 PM,  <peter.chiu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On the guest OS, the actually devices are sda, and not hda.
> [root@ignis log]# df -hl
> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda2             9.7G  8.4G  817M  92% /
> none                 1004M     0 1004M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda1              12G   10G  1.1G  91% /mnt/rh9
> /dev/sda5             112G   66G   40G  63% /disks/ignis1
>
> Are you saying that the full virtualised loader (HVM?) cannot support sda?

I'm saying that the OS running on HVM domU will see a different
hardware than the original one. It will see the virtual disk as hda
(an IDE disk), and not sda. At least that's the case with older
kernels..

> Regarding the other command on the use of live CD/USB?
> I don't quite follow the use on that.
>
> The main objective I am trying to achieve is to flexibly transfer a running
> service to run on a xen server,
> in the hope that we do not need to redo a fresh installation and its layered
> applications.
> This will be useful so we can save time, but also some applications may not
> easily be redone due to departure of staff who set them up.

Are you familiar with backup system? The recommended way to perform
backup is to make sure that the data remains the same (unchanged) when
backup process occurs. That's why good backup software make use of LVM
snapshot, Windows Volume Shadow Copy, or application-specific backup
strategy.

> If we use live CD/USB, can you tell how to transfer a running service to run
> as a guest OS?

Same way. The idea is that when dd-ing from a disk, the "original"
disk must NOT have any filesystem mounted to prevent corruption. Note
that this is a different problem from being unable to boot.

--
Fajar