Re: [Xen-users] pv_ops domU crashes on pv_ops dom0 (directly at boot)

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] pv_ops domU crashes on pv_ops dom0 (directly at boot)
From: Markus Schuster <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:58:50 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:59:49 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 22 January 2010 18:20:41 Markus Schuster wrote:
> OK, I try to get some devel hardware where I can reproduce the bug - on my
> single core single processor workstation I'm unable to reproduce it (with
>  same binaries).

I was able to get my hands on a brand-new dual hexacore Opteron system this
weekend and - too bad - I can't reproduce the problem :(
I will look out for other test systems...

> Furthermore I'll try the opensuse forward ported patches for 2.6.31 as dom0
>  - to rule out my pv_ops dom0 kernel as cause.

I've also verified this approach: The domU crashes the same way it does with a
pv_ops dom0 kernel. So I think we can rule out dom0 kernel as cause.

> If you think it's config dependent, could you (or someone else) please
>  provide a working-for-him/her pv_ops domU kernel config? Cause if the
>  problem lays in the configuration, we should inform Debian people of the
>  potential problem with their default kernel configuration - as far as I
>  know they want to go stable with 2.6.32.

Olivier Bonvalet has provided his kernel configuration files "for multi vcpus
64bits pv_ops DomU" he uses in production - thx Olivier.
The domU crashes the same way it does with my config, so it really seems to be
some sort of problem with my environment - but I have no clue what could cause
such trouble. Could a faulty ACPI implementation at BIOS level cause such
problems?

Regards,
Markus