Re: [Xen-users] Help: cannot attach to the domain's console. why?

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:45 AM, ma qiang <maqiang1984@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>    Thanks a lot again.
>    Now I can install a new system in my computer using console
> according to your reply. I used "xm vncviewer test" to check
> installation is OK and type "linux console=ttyS0" in "boot: prompt",
> then change to use "xm console test" to continue the installation.
>    However, when I go to my lab, I found that all computers in my lab
> is run on only text mode redhat and have no GUI and vnc. So I have to
> search some methods which can use only console mode to control the
> installation.
>    But I haven't found any useful results. So would you help me again
> and tell me how?  Thank you!

First of all, if you're only using Linux domU, I highly suggest you
use PV domU. It'll give more performance. The "downside" is you need
to have a http install server available. Usually you only need to
install httpd on dom0, and mount the DVD ISO under
/var/www/html/install. You can then use http://dom_0_IP/install (or
whatever you decide to call it) for install server. Or you could just
use public install mirror (like
http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5/os/x86_64/), with the consequence
of it being slower.

Second, you can tell domU's vncconsole to listen to any IP address.
You can then connect to it using laptop/PC, without the need to have
GUI on the server itself. IIRC the syntax is

sdl=0
vnc=1
vnclisten="0.0.0.0"

for HVM domU, and

vfb =['type=vnc,vnclisten=0.0.0.0']

for PV domU. Another alternative when you use PV domU is you disable
GUI console completely, by removing the vfb line. In that case only
the serial console will be available, and it will be automatically
setup.

--
Fajar