[Xen-users] RE: GPLPV BSOD following block-attach

To: "Steven Maresca" <steve.maresca@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] RE: GPLPV BSOD following block-attach
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:07:16 +1100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:08:02 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> James,
>
> I'm writing with respect to an issue I've observed on a long-running,
> stable VM with the GPL-PV drivers installed.
>
> Running : 0.11 latest, x86 XP SP3
>
> I used "xm block-attach" to add two disks and (without actually
> configuring/accessing them) I had an automatic reboot due to windows
> updates. At the same time as the block-attach the domU config was
> edited to reflect the newly attached devices.
>
> Subsequently, the domU started with the 0x...7B BSOD in normal/safe
> mode even with /nogpl
>
> Would you happen to have any magic incantations to make windows play
> nice? Do I have to externally edit the registry to strip UpperFilters,
> or perhaps use a repair install?

If you are running 3.4.1 or newer, please send me the contents of
/var/log/xen/qemu-dm-<domu name>.log

When I break things like that (as you can imagine it happens a bit in
testing :) I do normally just mount the volume in another domu and
remove all references to gplpv from the registry. The uninstall bat
files should give you an idea of what needs removing.

I'd like to find out what went wrong though... was it working before,
and the block-attach broke it?

James