RE: [Xen-users] Networking stops working for no apparent reason

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Networking stops working for no apparent reason
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:39:51 +1100
Cc: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 18:40:28 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 6:05 AM, James Harper
> <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> This is weird, as the system might run for a a day or two - or only
> >> minutes. Shutting down domUs, networking, xend, libvirtd, etc and
> >> restarting has no effect. Only restarting the entire system helps.
> >>

> > Try disabling checksum offloading everywhere and see if it becomes
more
> > stable.
>
> If it's TCP offloading issue, shouldn't ICMP still work?

On the surface yes, but the problems I was seeing involved Linux getting
quite upset and refusing to do any packet routing when TCP offloading
was in use. Minutes later it would start again. Nothing was ever logged
anywhere to indicate problems it just stopped routing packets.

It's one of those things that isn't necessarily likely to resolve the
problem but is really easy to check.

James