Re: [Xen-users] [XCP] questions

To: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] [XCP] questions
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:06:58 +0200
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:07:29 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 01:55:35PM -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> I'm looking at XCP with interest. My environment right now is SLES10 and
> SLES11 servers. I've always had issues with memory where the servers
> stop responding after an undetermined amount of time even though xm info
> says plenty of RAM is available. Sometimes xm itself hangs. Sometimes a
> hard reboot is even required. It got better with SLES11 and xen 3.4.2
> with ballooning disabled, but I don't think it's entirely gone.

Hmm.. nothing in the logs? Do you have serial consoles set up so you can
log the errors/crashes?

XCP is currently using Xen 3.4.2 hypervisor, but the management tools are
different in dom0.. XCP has xapi/xe and different xenstored implementation.

> I'm also interested in having some tools that make managing my domUs a
> little bit easier. It would be nice to be able to safely give others
> more access to administration as well.
>
> I looked at moving to XenServer a few months ago and even built a
> XenServer, but it didn't appear to support ocfs2 which I use for my
> shared storage. I could get probably get away from ocfs2, but it seems
> to work well for me. I see that this is planned for XCP. The other issue
> I had with XenServer was converting my 35-40 domU's over looked like it
> would be a huge project by itself.
>
> My questions are:
> Is anyone using XCP yet?

I've heard of many people using/testing it.

> Any guesses on how long before it would be considered acceptable for
> production use?
>
> Any eta on ocfs2 support? It's currently listed at the bottom of the
> Roadmap if that has any significance.
>
> Will I be able to easily move my file based domU's over to XCP?

XCP is pretty much like XenServer, so similar V2V process is needed for both..
you could use some of the products made for that purpose, or create a custom
script that does it.. (especially if your' domUs are pretty similar).

-- Pasi