Re: [Xen-users] XCP Memory static/dynamic and overcommit

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP Memory static/dynamic and overcommit
From: David Erickson <halcyon1981@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:34:16 -0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:34:58 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=caBgY0dAKEV8qjbrRqLAZdl5dv/0bMkr1Cfy/syS6iA=; b=jOkjzDzMNBsuwR99aAiIyTaDOXmrf0VKnETUC+Zpo3KoVeS+GTgmTV5SgPJW43UAMg vAdvTE1H5tyzbiRDznirh78RGUY5AQ4d54BBCtz6HSmUE197wcb3aK4VA73//pheKipl eByijwxSOw2qq7bi5jOTEHIKVdhkjk9LnBAio=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 04:57:42PM -0800, David Erickson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> So I have been playing around with XCP and the static/dynamic memory
>> parameters.  I have a few behavioral questions I would like to pin
>> down:
>>

> Hello,
>
> Did you read XCP and/or XenServer docs?
> I'm not sure if those will answer the questions below, but at least
> worth checking out.

So all the current docs say that everything except static-max is
unused, however this is not my experience as I mentioned, in that when
running a cooperative kernel with a ballooning driver you actually
will change the amount of memory the guest says is available (via top,
etc). Can someone comment on the changes that have been made in XCP
with the static min and dynamic min/max now being used?

Thanks,
David