[Xen-users] VM checkpoint/restart and migration

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] VM checkpoint/restart and migration
From: Andreea Costea <andre.costea@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:52:20 +0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 02:53:07 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

i am quite new to Xen, I want to do some experiments and I would like to know the followings regarding some of the Xen Hypervisor features:

Context A: 2 hosts in the same LAN, 2 VMs on top of each host and a NFS storage with the disk images between the hosts. Host 1 contains VM1 and VM2 and Host 2 contains VM3 and VM4. All VMs have private IPs.
1. Save/restore: I run an application that was communicating with all 4 VMs in the same time. I suspended the application and I saved the state of VM1 to the shared storage and than restart VM1 from that file on top of Host2. Than I resumed the application and it continued it's execution successfully. So this means that the connections were preserved.

2. Live migration: same thing. Application communicating with all 4 VMs and I migrated a VM to another host and all the connections were preserved.

Context B:
2 hosts in the same LAN, 2 VMs on top of each host and no NFS storage. All VMs have private IPs.
3. Save/restore: Can I save the state of a VM on one host and then restore it to a new host without having a shared device between the 2 hosts (maybe if I copy the disk image to the new host)? If an application is running on it are the connections going to be preserved?

Context C: 2 hosts in different subnet, no NFS storage, VMs having public IPs from different subnet
 4. Is there any way that I can save the state of a VM on Host1 and than restart it on Host2? And more than that, is it possible to preserve the network connections?

I would really appreciate an answer for question 3 and 4,

Thanks a lot,
Andreea