Re: [Xen-users] Install CentOS as Dom-U

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Install CentOS as Dom-U
From: Boris Quiroz <boris.quiroz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 17:17:25 -0300
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 12:23:36 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 01/04/2010 02:13 PM, Daniel Lam wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm getting confused trying to install CentOS as Dom-U.
>
> I'm trying to follow instructions here,
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingCentOSDomU
>
> which is to
>
> 1. Download "domU installation initrd image and kernel" from CentOS
> mirrors site
> 2. Create a Domain Config File which kernel and ramdisk parameters point
> to the
>     files in step 1
> 3. Install the domain U by running "xm create <domain config file>"
>
> So far so good. However in this domain U installation process, it asks about
> package source location and the instructions in wiki suggested supplying
> the
> normal CentOS download location. I'm confused - this is as if I'm
> installing
> a "real" CentOS, like installing dom0.
>
> My questions:
>
> - If I proceed, am I installing as a para-virtualized CentOS (which is
> what I want),
>   or am I installing as a full-virtualized CentOS (which is what it
> looks like to me at the moment)?

When you install that way, you install a para-virtualized CentOS.

> - When I was previously using Debian as domain-0, xen-tools set up the
> guest domain
>   configuration file in such a way that its kernel parameter is
> specified "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-xen-686".
>   However in the CentOS wiki, it's suggesting not to specify it after
> install.
>   I don't get it - Should kernel be specified? And if it is, does it
> mean the kernel of
>   domain-U is actually in domain 0?

I think you can install some kind of GRUB (ie. pygrub) and use that to
boot up your DomU

> - With Debian I could use xen-tools. Are there similar tools with CentOS?
>   Some pointed virt-install but that appears to not have CentOS as one
>   of the OS options.

If your Dom0 is a Debian, you've xen-tools to manage all your DomU's,
doesn't matter is those are debian, centos, fedora, etc.