Re: [Xen-users] Need advice regarding distro

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 04:09:50PM -0500, Dana Rawding wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need some advice.  I have been running Xen under Ubuntu LTS 8.0.4 for about
> 18 months.  The original install gave me the 2.6.24-19-xen kernel.
> There were a couple of updates and all my machines are currently running
> 2.6.24-23-xen.  Since Ubuntu decided to go with KVM I imagine that there will
> be no further updates.
>
> Recently I had read that in the future Remus is going to be added to the
> kernel.  HA is very desirable for me as I have a number of HA web servers
> that I handle with load balancing in front of virtualized images spread over
> multiple servers.  The addition of synchronized failover images would be
> huge!

Remus was committed to xen-unstable already, so it'll be part of Xen 4.0
release in 2010.

> So I started looking around at other distros that are going to continue to
> support Xen.  I downloaded the latest OpenSuSE and installed on a spare HP
> DL380.  I was able to get it up and running on 2.6.31.5-0.1-xen.  After
> testing for a few days I decided to start upgrading my production machines.

Redhat's RHEL5 (and thus CentOS5) will support Xen until 2014, which is
when RHEL5 goes EOL.

So that's one option.. it doesn't have the latest Xen versions, but it
works pretty OK, and is actively maintained.

No idea if remus will make it to RHEL5 though.. probably not.

-- Pasi