Re: [Xen-users] easy high availability storage

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>, "Peter Braun" <xenware@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] easy high availability storage
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:29:43 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Roland Frei <frei@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 07:30:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> On 2009/11/26 at 02:26, Peter Braun <xenware@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> its not my document.

I don't think Fajar was suggesting that it was your document, or blaming you
for what he saw as a couple of possible problems in configuration described in
the document.  He was just pointing out that there are weaknesses with manual
fencing that can lead to corruption of your file system, so, when using GFS,
you need to set up real fencing devices to avoid major filesystem problems.

> Actually Ive tried to install H/A SAN according do this document but
> without success.
>
> Am looking for opensource solution of H/A SAN - and this is close to my goal.
>

> The basics:
>
> 1)    2 machines with some HDD space synchronized between them with DRBD.

OK so far...or, if you can afford some sort of storage on the back end capable
of being presented to two hosts simultaneously (like FC-based storage), you can
use that, too.

> 2)    Now am little bit confused what shall I use above the DRBD block
> device?
>        - some cluster FS like OCFS2 or GFS?
>        - LVM?

Your "SAN controllers" need not actually have a filesystem on them, unless
you're trying to run DRBD on the same systems that are running your domUs.  If
you have separate machines doing all of the SAN functionality, simply
synchronize with DRBD and present with iSCSI.  Then you can use a CRM tool
(like Heartbeat or one of the others out there) to manage switching IP
addresses between your redundant SAN heads.  At this stage you need not worry
about OCFS2 or GFS.  On your Xen servers, use an iSCSI client or iSCSI HBA to
connect to the IP address(es).

> 3)    create files with DD on cluster FS and export them with iSCSI?
>        create LVM partitions and export them with iSCSI?

This is where you choose between a cluster-aware FS and a cluster-aware volume
manager on the servers running Xen (or both).  Either one should be fine - I
use a cluster-aware FS (OCFS2) and use files for each of the domU disks.  One
thing to note with a cluster-aware volume manager, if you go this route you
still need to figure out a way to synchronize your domU configurations between
the machines.  This may mean using a tool like rsync, or creating a volume on
your volume manager that's just for configuration files and using a
cluster-aware FS on that volume to mount it on all of the Xen servers.

> 4)    how to make iSCSI target highly available?
>        - configure   iSCSI on virtual IP/another IP and run it as HA service
>        - configure separate iSCSI targets on both SAN hosts and
> connect it to Xen server as multipath?

I think either one of these should work, though you need to make sure that the
later of the two options is okay given the iSCSI Target Daemon that you use -
with buffering and caching you may run into some issues with writes not being
committed to the disk in the proper order, which could lead to corruption.

> 5)    hearbeat configuration

Yep...on the SAN controllers for the IPs and iSCSI targets, and possibly on the
Xen servers, as well, for the cluster-aware FS or the cluster-aware volume
manager.

> VM machines with iSCSI HDD space on SAN should survive reboot/non
> availability of one SAN hosts without interruption nor noticing that
> SAN is degraded.
>
> Is that even possible?

Absolutely - the primary issue is getting that failover set up correctly such
that the small interruption to iSCSI service that your Xen servers will
experience does not cause them to think the target has gone away or cause them
to miss iSCSI disk writes.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.