RE: [Fedora-xen] Re: [Xen-users] How to Backup and Restore MBR within Lo

To: "'Mr. Teo En Ming \(Zhang Enming\)'" <space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Fedora-xen] Re: [Xen-users] How to Backup and Restore MBR within Logical Volumes?
From: "Dustin Henning" <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:17:57 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, 'Fedora Xen' <fedora-xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 05:18:56 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        As you are running Windows, I will assume that you are using HVM,
and therefore that /dev/virtualmachines/windows7-x64 is a hard disk image.
As such, the command you listed will back up the MBR, including the
partition table.  That isn't to say that Windows 7 doesn't have additional
boot information outside of the MBR, but that information would be included
in a file system backup.  Wikipedia has the structure of the MBR in a table
at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record.  On that note, I often
use bs=446 when I want the MBR without the partition table, but if you are
backing up the partition as opposed to the file structure, then you might as
well keep the partition table (or even just back up the image).
        Dustin