[Xen-users] QCOW in RAMDISK on Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] QCOW in RAMDISK on Xen
From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:07:09 -0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:09:26 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have been messing with QCOW on Xen and I've come to the conclusion that nobody actually uses it otherwise it would work. Has anyone gotten QCOW2 and Xen to work reliably?

I have 40 PV VMs that are identical (initially) and would like to move from separate disk images to one base image sitting in a ramdisk and the COW images hosted on an iSCSI storage device. The VMs would boot off the base image from ramdisk which should be very fast. Only when they would write to disk would things slow down and go to the iSCSI RAID. This would allow boot times to shrink and remove a lot of disk speed problems.

Has anyone done this or have any other ideas.

Grant