Re: [Xen-users] Please advise re 'on_crash' parameter.

To: Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Please advise re 'on_crash' parameter.
From: Steve Wray <steve.wray@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:12:04 +1300
Cc: Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:13:27 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nick Couchman wrote:
On 2009/10/28 at 16:42, Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Steve Wray <steve.wray@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Is there anyone on this list who can advise regarding the
functionality of 'on_crash' in the domU configuration?
unless you are doing development and are way more handy than I am with a memory dump, you almost certainly want 'on_crash reboot'

Perhaps, but maybe not...I guess it depends on what types of "crashes" you experience.  In my case, a crash
usually means "continuous reboot", so I'd much rather have on_crash set to "destroy" than
"reboot" as I'd rather not have Xen sit there and constantly reboot a machine that crashes - usually a
Windows machine that's done an update and is BSODing, rebooting, BSODing, etc.

The problem I've been seeing is with a Linux pvm domU which has been set to on_crash reboot but which on a crash doesn't reboot.

According to the Xen logs, when Xen tries to reboot it, it finds that the domain already exists so it bails out of the reboot.

I'm puzzled, any insight would be valuable.

I did post entries from the logs in another mail to the list, but got no responses to that one.

-Nick

for sysadmin level debugging of DomUs, start xenconsoled with --log=all or so, and it will record the console of the DomU, which is usually enough to figure out what happened.
--
Luke S. Crawford
http://prgmr.com/xen/         -   Hosting for the technically adept

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.

--
Please remember that an email is just like a postcard; it is not confidential nor private nor secure and can be read by many other people than the intended recipient. A postcard can be read by anyone at the mail sorting office and expecting what is written on it to be private and secret is not realistic. Please hold no higher expectation of email.

If you need to send confidential information in an email you need to use encryption. PGP is Pretty good for this.