[Xen-users] moving LV's devices to a SAN server.

To: Xen Users <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] moving LV's devices to a SAN server.
From: Israel Garcia <igalvarez@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:00:28 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:06:59 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
First, I've searched the list and couldn't find anything.

This is my scenario:

 - 5 Dom0 lenny servers, usign lvm with a lot of (domU) lv's inside,
domU/0' storage in a local hdd and each server has two ethernet cards
1GB connected through a cisco 3750 swtich.
 - A storage (lenny) server running 6T raid10, big VG (empty for now)
with 6 1GBE NICs, 5 NICs connected by a crossover to every dom0
separately and the other to the cisco switch.

We want:

Move lv's devices from each dom0 to the new VG at the storage (I mean
move every lvm's device),  then export this lv device in the storage
server with vblade/Aoe or iscsi to every dom0, Dom0's storage keeps
local. Then we update every ./etc/xen/domU.cfg to work with the new
device attahed at its dom0. finally xm create domU.cfg to start domU.

I have, untested, a way to move lv's from an old  VG to a newone remote VG:
cat /dev/VG1_dom0/lv1 | ssh  storage "cat > /dev/VG2_storage/lv1"
So,  at the end I should have all lv's devices in the storage server.

final questions:

do you know if it works? I mean if domU starts without problems using
this devices attached?
is there another better way to move several domU's storages to a SAN server?
do you think it's a good idea to use crossovers between dom0-SAN
instead a switch?

I'd appreciate you comments. thanks in advance.

--
Regards;
Israel Garcia