[Xen-users] Question re Debian, xen and performance problems

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Question re Debian, xen and performance problems
From: Helma van der Linden <h.vanderlinden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:05:21 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 02:06:24 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I've been handed down a working configuration of (amongst others) an Intel quadcore server running a dom-0 with 4 domU's (each restricted to 1 cpu). They all run Debian etch and xen 3.0.3 (as far as I can tell). I'm familiar with the concept of virtualization, but haven't actually used it in production, like this server is. Each domU is used for a single purpose: converting large datafiles from a proprietary format to a MySQL database. Software and MySQL server are installed 'local' to the domU.

Recently users doing the conversion start complaining that the conversions take much longer than before, sometimes 300% or more than e.g. a few months ago when the server was configured.

When a conversion is running in xen top I can see a cpu use of around 100%. I have no idea where to start. I'm considering upgrading both the debian and the xen versions, but that means I have to take the machine offline and spend quite some time on the upgrade process (server is colocated elsewhere). Both are not really an option.

What I'm looking for here is:
- pointers to possible causes of the delays.
- answers/insights to the benefits of these upgrades.

Thanks.

Helma