Re: [Xen-users] No networking on dom0 Lenny

To: Nicolas Muñoz <nicolas.munoz.zz@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] No networking on dom0 Lenny
From: Marcel van Dorp <marcel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:45:36 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:46:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nicolas Muñoz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently running a Xen 3.5 unstable over a Debian Lenny with linux
> kernel 2.6.26-2
>
> My problem right now is that whatever I try, I don't manage to get
> networking on my dom0. Here are a bunch of messages I picked from the
> output of the command *dmesg:*
> *
> *
>
>     * eth0: MSI interrupt test failed
>     * no ownder
>     * ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0 link is not ready
>
> From the *eth0 **link** is not ready*, i found some information browsing
> forums, advising to add *pci=noacpi* or *pci=nommconf* but I did not get
> much success there...
>
> I also thought that it might be a problem of network card driver, so I
> tried to install the latest version. I found the driver on the Intel
> website, based on the output of these commands, indicated on Intel website:
>
> #lspci -v | grep Ethernet -A 1
>
>     00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566DM-2 Gigabit
>     Network Connection (rev 02)
>     Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2818
>

> #ethtool -i eth0
>
>     driver: e1000e
>     version: 1.0.15-NAPI
>     firmware-version: 1.3-1
>     bus-info: 0000:00:19.0
>

> The driver is from the Intel website, I downloaded it, unzipped it, make
> installed from src/ directory, rmmod-ed e1000e and modprobe e1000e
>
> Same things happen again and again.
>
> If I try to work on it when I am on my dom0, here are outputs from some
> commands
>
> # ifdown eth0
>
>     [...]
>     DHCPRELEASE on eth0 to 15.203.240.11 port 67
>     send_packet: Network is unreachable
>     send_packet: please consult README file regarding broadcast adress
>

> # ifup eth0
>
>     [...]
>     Sending on   Socket/fallback
>     DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
>     [...]
>     DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval
>     NO DHCPOFFERS received
>     No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
>

> Any idea folks?
> Thanks in advance...

If you have an eth0 device, the hardware is recognized and the driver is
loaded. Apparently the link is not ready.

*) Could the cable be faulty?
*) To what switch is the NIC connected?
*) Is there a speed/duplex mismatch?
*) For gigabit, you need 8-wire cables, for 10/100 you only need 4 wires
(pins 1/2 and 3/6). Is that correct?
*) If connected to a switch, is STP active (port not yet in FWD, takes
up to 50s)
*) If your switch is manageable, what does that side 'say'?

just my €.02

Marcel