Re: [Xen-users] Nested Xen

To: angelo alfano <angeloalfa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Nested Xen
From: J <dreadpiratejeff@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 09:22:07 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 06:22:48 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=UrCv2UvSRxj55qv3vT0oobXMKY5xRfgzK+p3+UxZpWc=; b=le7r338n8buyAwzOs9TKi9ky6hawrws5cZU8bNtvJ1lmPxfflYXdi6oWA+UTnPEAe7 Ed+mz1pnm4SiE6AGY2DRHE7WhT3Bqb41HLJmPAtPi5W3UDR2jilOHWmJHCgqKcglqlg2 vN2DhA7XOJV2hJFMia9Q57XDiPmkrgxOkqYeI=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 09:43, angelo alfano <angeloalfa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a problem with the nasted Xen.
>
> I have a processore that supports HVM, I have installed Debian Lenny, then I
> have installed Xen 3.2.0, then I have created a VM in HVM mode.
> My question is can be created one other VM in HVM mode?

Confusing....

I'm not sure what this has to do with nesting Xen... which CAN be
done, but should NOT be done, as you get no benefit from doing this
other than just the pure fun of doing it.

HOWEVER, your actual question seems to be:

"I have installed Debian Lenny on a computer that supports hardware
virtualization.  I have installed Xen 3.2.0 on that system, and
created one HVM guest.  Can I create another HVM guest on the same
system??

If THAT is your question, then yes, by all means.

That's the point of virtualization... you can run as many VMs on your
Xen system as your hardware can reasonablly support.  And by
reasonably support, I mean, can support without drastic cuts in VM
performance or usablility.

For Paravirtualized VMs, the most I've ever been able to install on a
Xen system was about 100 (ran out of storage at that point).  BUT the
most I was ever able to actually start and boot was about 48.  By the
time the 48th VM had powered on, ALL the VMs were so sluggish as to be
useless, and most couldn't even finish the boot process due to the
lack of resources.

For HVM guests, the numbers are a little lower, than that, mainly
because I never really tried any more than about 20 or so HVM guests
on one system.

So yeah, you can run more than one HVM VM on your machine.

Cheers
Jeff

--

Stephen Leacock  - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue
that I shall some day die, which is not so." -