[Xen-users] Re: XEN 3.4.1|HVM|physical disk access

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: XEN 3.4.1|HVM|physical disk access
From: Christian Tramnitz <chris.ace@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 17:14:45 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 08:16:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tait Clarridge wrote:
Hello folks,

i do not get access to a physical disk with xen. I would like to install
windows xp as hvm to the physical partition /dev/sdb1.

I partioned the disk with cfdisk. Filesystem type is Linux (83). In my
eyes the filesystem using hvm is insignificant(?).

I tried the following configurations; probably a lot more than this.
#disk = [ 'phy:hda1,hda1,r' ] (comment from xmexample.hvm form /ect/xen)

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sdb1,sda,w' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sdb1,hda,w' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sdb1,ioemu:hda,w' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sdb1,ioemu:sda,w' ]

The installation of windows comes up but the windows kernel does not
found any hard disk. I tried debian lenny and have gotten the same
effect so that i suppose there is something wrong with my configuration,
yet i do not see the point.

I have compiled the newest xen-distribution from www.xen.org.

Has anybody an idea?

Thanks a lot,
Carsten

If your disks are SATA I am assuming that perhaps your windows installation media doesn't have SATA drivers slipstreamed in.
Question to all: Does XEN always try to use IDE? Or if the physical disk is
SATA does it present the disk as a SATA drive?

I am unsure because I tend to use disk image files so we can migrate domUs
between servers easier.

Tait

Xen emulates an Intel IDE controller in ioemu mode that will be detected by any plain installation procedure, this is not the problem.

However I would suggest to allign full-disk vs. partition scheme when passing through the device, i.e.
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sdb1,sda1,w' ]
- or -
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sdb,sda,w' ]

But not taking a partition and present it as full disk.

Anyway, I'd suggest to start using xvda(1) from the very beginning and then install PV drivers as soon as the installation is completed.

Best regards,
   Christian