Re: [Xen-users] OpenSolaris domU on RedHat Linux dom0

Hi,

I finally have my OpenSolaris domU up and running by using 'xvda' instead of '0'. But I want to emphasize here that 'xvda' has to be used while installing from iso as well as when running it after installation. Using '0' while installing and 'xvda' after install did not work for me.

I have couple of more questions.

1. How do we use the domU disk image of OpenSolaris and provision many domU's using LVM partitions? In other words, can we clone it to create many copies?
2. Is it possible to assign static ip address to domU from the configuration file itself with parameters like ip=x.x.x.x and netmask=x.x.x.x etc?

Thanks,
Viswanath

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 12:06 +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Tait
Clarridge<Tait.Clarridge@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Without posting a long email, please check this entry on my blog for my instructions on setting up an opensolaris DomU on a CentOS 5.2 Dom0. If you have any questions about my instructions, feel free to email me.
>
> http://www.taiter.com/blog/2009/02/opensolaris-200811-paravirtual.html#more

So after comparing your blog and John Levon's
(http://blogs.sun.com/levon/entry/opensolaris_2009_06_guest_domain),
and trying it for opensolaris snv_122 from genunix.org, here's what I
come up with :

- you can use "xvda" instead of "0" for domU disk (in fact, xvda is
currently recommended)
- if you use 64bit kernel, location of x86.microroot has moved to
/boot/amd64/x86.microroot
- no need for "-B console=ttya,livemode=text" anymore
- the live CD can't use virtual frame buffer, but by default it
creates a vnc server whose parameter (ip, port, password) can be
lookup from xenstore. So it's an alternative to starting vncserver
manually

Some additional note, if you use updated Xen 3.4.1 and virt-install
0.6.4 from Gitco, virt-install works for opensolaris installation :D

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of
information.
printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this
e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.