Re: [Xen-users] Re: xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Sergio Charpinel
Jr.<sergiocharpinel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I got the xenconsoled error just when I use this config:
> kernel = "/usr/lib/xen-3.2-1/boot/hvmloader"
> builder='hvm'
>
> If I switch to
> kernel      = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64'
> ramdisk     = '/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64'
>
> It works, but it is not using VT-virtualization.
>
> What do I need to change do work as HVM ?

Perhaps you're confusing the way Intel VT/AMD-V works on Xen with the
way it works on VMware/Virtualbox? For example, on Virtualbox you have
the OPTION to use VT for guest, which should make it run faster (at
least they put it in "acceleration" section). It doesn't work that way
in Xen.

In Xen, you either have :
- HVM guest, whose OS/kernel is just like the one running on any other
physical machine, and NEEDS VT to run
- PV guest, whose OS/kernel has to support Xen (whether old-style
xenfied kernel or newer pv_ops kernel), and does not need VT to run.
It won't use VT, even when it's available.

Note that the disk mapping you use (with sda1 and sda2) and also the
kernel (vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64) will ONLY work for PV guest. For
HVM guest you need to map the disk as sda, not sda1 and sda2.

--
Fajar