Re: [Xen-users] paravirtualization on linux domU

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>, "Alberto Asuero Arroyo" <albertoasuero@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] paravirtualization on linux domU
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:54:06 -0600
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 05:55:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Actually, the three Linux distributions that I deal with on a regular basis - CentOS 5, OpenSuSE 10.3/11.1, and SLES10 - do have -xen kernels included on the CD/DVD distribution media.  Now, it still takes a little bit of work to get that kernel to boot correctly for a PV domU installation, but it does work.  The virt-install graphical management tool will look for the -xen kernel RPM on install media like CD/DVD and extract and boot it in order to kick off the install.  If you're using the command line, though, you'll have to accomplish this by hand.

-Nick

>>> On 2009/08/30 at 20:36, "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Alberto Asuero
Arroyo<albertoasuero@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I always have the same question...
>
> It's possible install linux domU by  2 ways:
>
> 1) like a windows domU (using  distribution's cd or dvd and vnc)

Short answer: No.

Long answer:
- yes, if it's a HVM domU
- mostly no, if you use PV domU. This is mainly because
--> the Linux installer that I know of is having problems mapping the
ISO as cdrom device.
--> Linux install/live CD/DVD usually don't have -xen kernel.
So it's installer and packaging issue. This might change in the future though.

Note that Opensolaris can use CD/DVD for installation for both HVM and
PV domU installation.

> 2) with  xen-tools and xen-create-image. With this way it's necessary use a
> kernel with support for xen domU.
>

> Does the option 2 use a kernel with domU support to avoid the
> paravirtualization?

In terms of PV domU installation, these tools (xen-create-image,
debootstrap, etc.) act as replacement for standard installation
method.

> What is the best option?why?

Depends on your needs and preference. For RHEL-based distros, the
recommended way is to use virt-install using http mirror. For
Debian/Ubuntu-based, I prefer to use debootstrap plus manual
customizations.

--
Fajar

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.