Re: [Xen-users] Xen Instalation

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 10:48:42AM -0300, JOSÉ FORMIGA wrote:
>> Hi.But what have I to install first - Xen or Linux ? Until now I am standing
>> that I CAN install Xen using a .ISO CD/DVD. Then, after, I install a Linux
>> DomU. OK or NOK ? Thanks.
>>

> Usually first you install Linux distribution, that will be used as dom0.
>
> If that distribution contains Xen hypervisor/tools/dom0-kernel packages,
> then you install them. If not, then you compile from source and install.
>
> After that you reboot into Xen and then you can start creating VMs (=domUs)
> from dom0.
>
> -- Pasi

>>> ?
>>> Please,
>>> Xen hypervisor is not really usable without Domain-0 ("dom0").
>>>
>>> Dom0 is usually Linux kernel/distribution, and it's used to control the Xen
>>> hypervisor and provide virtual disks and network access to the
>>> virtual machines (aka guests aka domUs).
>>>
>>> So yes, you need Linux aswell, in addition to Xen hypervisor.
>>>
>>> Or if you like Opensolaris better than Linux, dom0 support also exists
>>> for Opensolaris. And for NetBSD.
>>>
>>> The bottom line is you _need_ dom0.
>>>
>>> -- Pasi

One really easy method is to install the latest version of CentOS and
choose virtualization as part of the install.  A good way to get your
feet wet with XEN.

Steven G. Spencer, Network Administrator
KSC Corporate - The Kelly Supply Family of Companies
Office 308-382-8764 Ext. 231
Mobile 308-380-7957