Re: [Xen-users] storage is not detected during guest OS install

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] storage is not detected during guest OS install
From: Barny Kadlecsik <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:53:29 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:54:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Dustin, it works if I define the storage as "hda", both with file and ext3 partitioned FS storage. Just as curiosity, you wrote that "the operating systems you are trying to install do not have PV drivers". What do you mean exactly? I always thought that logical volumes are presented as "raw" block devices (like an unpartitioned hard disk) by Xen to the guest systems. Or you mean that the given guest OS cannot handle physical volumes? It seems strange, because Oracle's Enterprise Linux installs LVM by default, so it should use without any fuss.

Thanks again for your help!

Barny

Dustin Henning wrote:
        Assuming that the log message you found does not indicate an issue,
it would appear that the problem could be that the operating systems you are
trying to install do not have PV drivers.  Try changing this:
disk = [
'file:/xenimagefs/debmed.img,xvda1,w','file:/xenimagefs/debian-502-amd64-net
inst.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
        to this:
disk = [
'file:/xenimagefs/debmed.img,xvda,w','file:/xenimagefs/debian-502-amd64-neti
nst.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
        and then this:
disk = [
'file:/xenimagefs/debmed.img,hda,w','file:/xenimagefs/debian-502-amd64-netin
st.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
        Note that I am assuming that debmed.img is blank or a partitioned
image, if it is an image that is not partitioned, the above will not work,
but I am not certain that you can provide a partition instead of a disk
image to an HVM domU anyway.
        Dustin