[Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] dom0-cpus problem with Xen 3.4.1-rc6

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>, Nerijus Narmontas <n.narmontas@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] dom0-cpus problem with Xen 3.4.1-rc6
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:55:41 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:56:24 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 22/07/2009 18:08, "Pasi Kärkkäinen" <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:

>> So you can use that option do dedicate a core for dom0, and then use the
>> cpus= option for other domains to make them use other cores.. and this way
>> you'll be able to dedicate a core _only_ for dom0.
>>

> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2009-06/msg00037.html
>
> Explained better there..

The above-cited posting is mostly correct. In particular cpus= in a guest
config does behave as you think, whereas (dom0-cpus 1) will cause dom0 to
enable only one vcpu for itself. However, it is not true that by default
each dom0 vcpu is pinned to its equivalent numbered physical cpu. To get
that behaviour you must either configure it via use of 'vm vcpu-pin'
commands, or by specifying dom0_vcpus_pin as a Xen boot parameter.

 -- Keir