[Xen-users] Help me to understand building xen from sources, please

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Help me to understand building xen from sources, please
From: Richard Bowser <bowser.richard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:58:14 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:59:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Monday 13 July, Luis Fernando Pollo posted:

I'm attempting what should be a very vanilla Xen 3.4 build by doing a "make world" on a freshly downloaded source package containing both Xen and the 2.6.18 Linux kernel ("Latest Release" on the Downloads page). Interestingly, instead of just building the kernel included in the source release, the build script says it can't find the kernel sources locally and attempts to download one from a mirror site, only to stop again complaining it can't verify the PGP signature of the downloaded file.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this? It looks like a makefile bug, but I'm not sure.

I can help with SOME of this, but please let me start by mentioning I'm a Xen newbie who's have just gotten past a one month-long roadblock in trying to build 3.4.0 from the source under two differing but equally brand-new linux distributions.  I WAS stymied because gpg kept invalidating my kernel download with: "gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found"  I wrote this list several times asking about it, but learned nothing.  However, I EVENTUALLY grew smart enough to search the list archives for the phrase "gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found".  To make my long story short, eventually I discovered that on Wed, 27 May 2009 someone named Per Olav responded to another user facing the same problem "You could try this:  gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 0x517D0F0E"  (I'd LOVE to know how Per Olav found this; but so far I have been unable to find relevant documentation.)

I tried it.  It worked.  I immediately encountered other difficulties, but I at least have some CLUES about how to resolve them, so I'm OK for now.  I'm writing this list because I wish this list could provide some guidance for those stuck in similar problem scenarios.  I was of the belief that downloading the sources was NORMAL behavior, so I can offer no advice there.  However I will remark that I got past gpg verification of the downloaded file by installing the Linux Kernel Archives Verification Key as Per Olav suggested.  I am still stuck on this seemingly simple task and am presently plauged by other obscure build failures.  (For example , what does "mv: cannot move `linux-2.6.18/..' to `../..': Device or resource busy" MEAN?)  At this moment I'm trying to locate which subfile in a 'make world" build attempt is involved.  Maybe then I can puzzle out what it's trying to do, and then hopefully discover what's actually wrong here.

As I mentioned, I've been beating my head against this particular stone wall for over a month now.  I have found virtually no relevant documentation.  All I can say is: I wish you good luck, Louis!

-Rich B.